Author: Julie, 21/07/2016
Frognal is an area of Hampstead, and is also the name of the major road in the area, the lower end of which winds uphill from Finchley Road and at its upper end (north of Church Row) forms the western edge of Hampstead Village.
The first reference to Frognal is as a tenement in the 15th century, probably on the site of the later Frognal House (now 99 Frognal). By the mid-eighteenth century it was a significant settlement, sought after by eminent lawyers, and infill development continued through the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Frognal has a diverse architecture, with many architecturally notable buildings. The central area, lacking large council estates, has undergone less change than some other parts of Hampstead. University College School, an independent day school founded in 1830, relocated to Frognal (the road) in 1907. Frognal Grove, Grade II listed, (1871–72) was large house inherited by the architect George Edmund Street, who made additions to it. It was later subdivided into four semi-detached houses.