Farringdon is a historic area of the City of London and is also used informally to refer to the area around Farringdon Station in the London Borough of Islington, some distance north of the historic locality.
There are numerous places in England called Farringdon; all meaning fern covered hill. William and Nicholas de Faringdon, whose name is likely to have originated from one of these places, were two related prominent citizens and Aldermen in the early 13th century. Nicholas purchased the area of the Farringdon ward of the City of London in 1279 and became its Alderman in 1281. In 1394 the ward was split into the still extant Farringdon Within and Farringdon Without (In the City of London there are two Wards for Farringdon — Farringdon Within and Farringdon Without — a situation caused by the splitting of the original Farringdon Ward in 1394. “Without” and “Within” denote whether the Ward fell outside or within the London Wall).
Farringdon Station was built close to Farringdon Road, a northern continuation of Farringdon Street outside the City, after which it was originally named when first opened in 1863 as Farringdon Street Station. The area was previously the location of Farringdon Market, established for the sale of fruit and vegetables on 20 November 1826 when the earlier Fleet Market was cleared to enable the laying out of Farringdon Street. The station was renamed Farringdon & High Holborn in 1922 and finally Farringdon in 1936
Until 1993, a small triangle of land south of Cowcross Street was within the City of London and formed part of the Farringdon Without ward. The boundary between the City of London and the London Borough of Islington was locally realigned in 1993 with exchanges of land between each; in this area the boundary was moved slightly south to align with Charterhouse Street.